Driving along the coast between Melbourne and Sydney is a scenic journey with plenty of beautiful places to visit and explore. The route covers a vast coastline and there are many great spots to stop along the way.
13 of the best places to stop or visit on your coastal road trip drive between Melbourne and Sydney:
- Wilsons Promontory National Park: Located at the southernmost tip of mainland Australia, this national park is renowned for its stunning landscapes, hiking trails, and pristine beaches.
- Lakes Entrance: A popular holiday destination known for its lakes, beaches, and fishing opportunities. It’s a great place to relax and enjoy water activities.
- Ninety Mile Beach: As the name suggests, this incredible stretch of beach goes on for 90 miles, offering picturesque views and a chance to take a peaceful stroll.
- Croajingolong National Park: A UNESCO World Heritage-listed site, known for its diverse ecosystems, wilderness, and beautiful coastline.
- Mallacoota: This coastal town is perfect for nature lovers and those seeking tranquility. Its beaches and lakes are excellent for swimming, fishing, and boating.
- Eden: A charming coastal town with a rich maritime history and opportunities for whale watching (during the whale migration season).
- Ben Boyd National Park: Offers coastal walks with stunning vistas and the iconic red rocks of the Pinnacles.
- Merimbula: A popular holiday spot with beautiful beaches, water activities, and the nearby Merimbula Aquarium.
- Narooma: Famous for its natural beauty, including the picturesque Glasshouse Rocks and Montague Island, known for its seal and penguin colonies.
- Batemans Bay: A bustling coastal town with lovely beaches, great dining options, and the chance to spot native wildlife.
- Jervis Bay: Renowned for its crystal-clear waters, white sandy beaches, and a great place for whale and dolphin watching.
- Kiama: Home to the famous Kiama Blowhole, where water shoots up dramatically through rock formations, as well as scenic coastal walks.
- Wollongong: A vibrant city with beautiful beaches, a relaxed atmosphere, and various attractions like the Wollongong Botanic Garden and Nan Tien Temple.
Plan your Sydney-Melbourne Coastal Discovery road trip in advance, consider the distances between each stop and allow time to explore and enjoy the unique beauty of each location.
Also, make sure to check the weather conditions and road status before embarking on your road trip. Safe travels!