The most scenic drive route from Melbourne to Sydney is along the coastal road, known as the Princes Highway (M1). It is our Sydney-Melbourne Coastal Discovery.
This route takes you through some of the most picturesque landscapes and charming coastal towns, offering stunning views of the ocean, forests, and cliffs along the way.
Here’s an overview of the route and why it’s considered scenic:
- Wilsons Promontory National Park: Starting from Melbourne, you can make a detour to Wilsons Promontory, which is a beautiful national park known for its pristine beaches, rugged coastal scenery, and diverse wildlife.
- Phillip Island: As you continue along the coast, you’ll have the opportunity to visit Phillip Island, famous for its penguin parade and stunning coastal views.
- Gippsland Lakes: Driving further, you’ll pass through the Gippsland Lakes region, where you can witness serene lakes, rolling hills, and lush greenery.
- Lakes Entrance: This coastal town is known for its stunning waterfront and is a great spot to stop for a meal or enjoy water-based activities.
- Croajingolong National Park: As you continue north, you’ll enter this pristine national park with untouched beaches, eucalyptus forests, and diverse wildlife.
- Eden: This coastal town is famous for its whaling history and offers beautiful views of Twofold Bay and the ocean.
- Ben Boyd National Park: Driving through this national park, you’ll encounter rugged coastal cliffs and scenic viewpoints.
- Sapphire Coast: This stretch of the drive is renowned for its sapphire-colored waters and beautiful coastal scenery.
- Batemans Bay: This popular holiday destination is a great place to stop and enjoy fresh seafood by the waterfront.
- Royal National Park: As you approach Sydney, consider taking a detour to the Royal National Park, known for its bushland, coastal cliffs, and beautiful walking trails.
- Sea Cliff Bridge: This iconic bridge along the Grand Pacific Drive offers stunning views as it hugs the coastline, providing a memorable driving experience.
It’s essential to note that road conditions and attractions may change over time, so it’s recommended to check for updates and road closures before embarking on your journey.
Additionally, consider taking your time to explore the various attractions and natural wonders along the way, as this route is not only about reaching the destination but also about enjoying the journey itself.