Moama sits on the NSW side of the Murray River and is one half of the twin towns that make up the destination, Echuca Moama.
Settlement began in Moama in 1845 and developed rapidly after a punt was established to transport livestock across the river into Victoria. Visitors can explore Old Moama and see the site of the punt. They can also visit the Maiden’s Inn, where many big deals were once made. For a time, the Maiden’s Inn was the busiest stock market in Australia!
The first paddlesteamer to travel upstream from South Australia arrived in Moama in 1853, and this sparked the boat building and riverboat trade that saw the region thrive.
Today, Moama is all about hospitality, from its award-winning riverside caravan and holiday parks, to its popular clubs and riverside bars, breweries and wineries. It is also a mecca for sport-lovers, boasting a championship golf course and international bowling greens.
Surrounded by natural beauty, visitors can explore bushland, gardens and riverside beaches right in the heart of Moama. Take one of the tourist drives or choose your own adventure on one of the scenic walking or cycling trails.
- Hire a paddleboard, canoe, kayak or pontoon boat and cruise the river at your own pace.
- Conquer the floating inflatable obstacle course at Aqua Island.
- Eat at a riverside winery, brewery, restaurant or café.
- Visit local producers to sample chocolates, wine, craft beer, artisan baked goods, oils, smallgoods and fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Play golf on a championship course, or try your luck at mini golf or barefoot bowls.
- Walk or ride along one of our many trails, including Five Mile Mountain Bike Trail or Horseshoe Lagoon, right in the heart of Moama.
- Take in some of the Long Paddock Touring Route and view the sculptures.
- Explore the Moama Botanical Gardens and take the kids to the largest playground in the area at the Adventure Play Park.
- Visit Old Moama and see Maiden’s Punt Reserve, the Old Telegraph Station and River Captain’s Cottage.
- Be entertained at one of Moama’s three clubs, providing family-friendly meals and entertainment.