The pretty township of Heathcote offers a relaxed and intimate insight into village life. Stroll along the wide main street and take in the heritage buildings, quaint cafés and boutiques. Nature lovers will appreciate the forest surrounding the town with walking and cycling trails, lookouts and the colourful Pink Cliffs providing one of many stunning vistas. The Heathcote region is famous for its rich and earthy Shiraz and as the wine industry continues to flourish with more wine varietals gathering success and international interest including Marsanne, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Viognier to name a few. Wine aficionados can visit one of the many cellar doors making the most of the unique soil the region enjoys, and if beer is more your style then taprooms showcasing local craft brews are also on offer. It’s hard to believe this wonderful slice of country living is just down the road from Bendigo.
live like A local
- Heathcote is home to over 30 cellar doors and wineries. Enjoy wine tasting with local makers of boutique family owned and run wineries.
- Indulge with a view of the vines for the night at Heathcote II’s The Cellars or Vineyard Views at Shiraz Republic.
- Cycle the scenic O’Keefe Rail Trail over historic bridges, along Lake Eppalock and past wineries.
- Get outdoors and explore the Valley of Liquid ambers in autumn and hike to the peak of Viewing Rock for great views of the region.
- Attend Heathcote’s signature events Heathcote on Show in June and the Heathcote Wine and Food Festival in October.