It might be just ninety minutes from the bright lights of Melbourne but as you cross the bridge Phillip Island feels a world away. This is a place of contrasts with many strings to its bow. On one hand you have astonishing natural scenery, beautiful beaches, and a profusion of native wildlife, whilst on the other you have the raw energy and speed of the Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit, home to the Australian MotoGP and World Superbike Championships.
Blessed with a wealth of glorious beaches there is something here for all, find everything from sheltered bays and coves perfect for swimming to wild, surf beaches for those on the endless quest for the perfect wave.
Explore the tiny fishing villages and seaside hamlets, tuck into delicious local seafood and sip and sample your way around the island’s vineyards and breweries.
Leave the car behind and follow the wealth of walking trails that criss-cross the island. The Cape Woolamai, Kitty Miller Bay and Nobbies walks take in the rugged south coast, whilst at Conservation Hill and Rhyll Mangrove Boardwalk you’ll find excellent opportunities for birdwatching.
Head to Summerland Beach at dusk to see the little penguins returning to the safety of their burrows after a busy day at sea and get up close and personal with koalas in their natural habitat at the Koala Conservation Reserve. As you wander through the gum trees keep your eyes peeled for other wildlife including wallabies, birdlife, and the often-elusive echidnas.
- See Australia’s largest fur seal colony first-hand with Wildlife Coast Cruises.
- Marvel at the determination of the little penguins as they make their way home from sea each evening.
- Feel the need for speed with a few laps of the go-kart track, a to-scale replica of the Phillip Island Grand Prix circuit.
- Take a virtual journey to the Southern Ocean with the Antarctic Journey at the Nobbies Centre.
- Swap four wheels for two and explore the myriad island cycle trails.
- Explore Victorian History at Churchill Island and shop for delicious treats at the vibrant farmer’s market.
- With accommodation options ranging from campsites to farm stays and family friendly apartments to boutique hideaways, there’s something for all budgets and occasions.