The Grand Pacific Drive winds its merry way south through what is one of the most under rated destinations in New South Wales. As you cross the spectacular Sea Cliff Bridge you enter a region filled with beautiful beaches, a dramatic coastline and rugged mountains all waiting to be explored. Wollongong and the Illawarra are treasures not to be missed.
Spend your days exploring quaint country towns and beaches straight from a postcard. Hop on a bike or head out on foot and discover the paths and rainforest bushwalks on the Illawarra Escarpment. For memorable views follow the Sublime Point walking track, not far from Thirroul, or hike Mount Kembla, an important site for the local indigenous Wodi Wodi people.
Watch in awe as thrill seekers throw themselves from the cliff tops at Stanwell Park, or if you are so inclined, head to Bald Hill and join them! This is an internationally acclaimed hang-gliding spot, and you can strap yourself in for a tandem adventure. For the ultimate adrenalin-rush, and unbeatable, panoramic views try a sky dive. Alternatively, pay a visit to Australia’s highest zipline tour and treetop walk through magnificent rainforest.
If you prefer to get your thrills at ground level why not get behind the wheel of a Porsche 911 for a local tour or hop on a Harley Davidson and feel the wind in your hair.
- Book a table with a view for lunch at the cliffside Scarborough Hotel.
- Live like a local and take a plunge in one of the many ocean pools.
- Learn to surf on some of the country’s best surfing beaches.
- Spend time in Wollongong or the ‘Gong’ as it’s known locally. While you’re there take a peek at the Wollongong Art Gallery, it has one of the best regional collections of Aboriginal art in the country.
- Find your inner zen with a visit to Nan Tien Temple, the largest Buddhist temple in the southern hemisphere.
- Take a wander along the Kiama Coastal Walk, at the end you’ll find the famous Kiama Blowhole.
- Visit pretty seaside towns as you beach-hop your way along the coast.