You’ll find Melbourne regularly featuring in the ‘most liveable city in the world’ lists and it’s easy to see why. Melbourne is a city that wears its many charms effortlessly. From astonishing creativity in the arts and food to fanatical world class sporting action.
This is a place where hidden laneways and secret rooftops reveal endless treasures. Where uber-talented designers, chefs, artists, and artisans weave their magic. The opportunities for exceptional shopping, cultural immersion and outstanding dining are boundless.
Stroll the banks of the Yarra River as it meanders through the city to Southbank for some of Melbourne’s finest and much-lauded dining venues and hop on one of the city trams that trundle throughout the city to explore the eclectic suburbs. Each has its own very distinct character and personality.
For shopping envy head to Toorak and South Yarra where even the window displays are sublime works of art. Soak up the authentic boho vibe in edgy Fitzroy or live like a local in Prahan, home to Australia’s oldest food market, vintage shops, gallery spaces and an inspiring food scene. Lovers of all thing’s seaside should make tracks for St Kilda; join the locals as they walk, cycle and skate beneath the foreshore palms, watch the sun setting over the Melbourne skyline from the end of St Kilda Pier and take a dip in heated seawater spa pools, a hark back to St Kilda’s more genteel days.
- Take a guided tour of Melbourne’s laneways and alleyways to seek out the hidden gems known only to the locals.
- Kick up your heels with a day of fabulous shopping on glamourous Collins Street.
- Explore the thriving arts and culture scene. From world class museums and theatres to cutting edge design studios and hole-in-the-wall galleries, there is something to suit all tastes.
- Seek out the ever-changing visual gallery of unique urban street art that adorns walls and doorways in the tiny laneways off Flinders Lane. Hosier Lane is possibly the best known.
- Immerse yourself in sporting history with a tour of the Melbourne Cricket Ground, known the world over as the MCG, spiritual home of Australian cricket.
- If you’ve a head for heights, take a spin on the Melbourne Star Observation Wheel and soak up the extraordinary views of the city.
- Dive into Melbourne’s history with visits to the Old Melbourne Gaol, Immigration Museum and Melbourne Museum.