Located on the banks of the Murray River, the twin towns of Echuca Moama are the closest riverside communities to Melbourne, at just two and a half hours drive.
Echuca Moama offers an unparalleled Murray River experience. Visitors enjoy the best of both worlds, with the river and iconic river red gum bushland located just a few steps away from the contemporary High Street.
Step back in time
As you listen to the paddlesteamer whistle echoing through the air, you will be transported back to the heyday of the riverboat trade, when Echuca was the third largest port in Australia. The historic Port precinct is a living monument to this time, with its Discovery Centre, steam-powered displays, working blacksmith, heritage buildings and original wharf sharing its story.
Take me to the river
As one of the most picturesque and accessible locations along the Murray River, Echuca Moama offers plenty of ways for you to explore from the water. Take a paddlesteamer cruise, hire a paddleboard or pontoon boat, join a kayak tour along one of our many waterways, live the river life onboard a houseboat, explore the narrowest section of the Murray on an eco boat tour or simply jump in and swim!
Wide open spaces
The region is surrounded by national parks, state forests, wetlands, rivers and waterways. Choose your own adventure as you walk, cycle or paddle your way along one of the many trails, with the birdsong as your playlist. Witness signs of Indigenous life from thousands of years ago, such as shell middens, oven mounds, scarred trees and sacred burial sites.
Sip and savour
Take a culinary journey across two states and two defined wine regions as you sip and savour your way through Echuca Moama and surrounds. Located in the Murray Riverina food bowl, Echuca Moama’s emerging food scene takes in contemporary wineries, craft breweries, a gin distillery, innovative restaurateurs, artisan creators and an ever-growing selection of passionate local producers who have come together to curate a diverse food and wine brand that commands a seat at the table with Australia’s best.
Pack up the car, hit the road and get ready to discover the charming riverside towns, rural hamlets, creative hubs and vibrant villages that can be found within a short drive of Echuca Moama. Uncover hidden gems, live like a local and meet our friendly community characters who will welcome you with open arms and are only too happy to share a tall story or two!
Must do experiences:
- Cruise down the river on one of our historic paddlesteamers.
- Live the river life aboard a luxury houseboat.
- Meander through the Port precinct, visit the shops and cafes and catch a coach ride through the centre of town.
- Visit the Port of Echuca Discovery Centre and take the After Dark Lantern Tour.
- Marvel at the four local stops on the Australian Silo Art Trail at Rochester, Colbinabbin, Kyabram and Picola.
- Wine and dine at one of the riverside wineries, bars or restaurants.
- Cuddle up to some of the 600 animals at Kyabram Fauna Park.
- View Australia’s largest collection of Holden cars from throughout the ages at the National Holden Museum.
- Count the 17,000 beer cans from around the world at the Great Aussie Beer Shed and Heritage Farm Museum.
- Explore the narrowest section of the Murray River, the Barmah Choke, with Kingfisher Cruises.
- Spend a day exploring the region on one of the drives and touring routes, covering nature, food, art and history.
Echuca Moama is an exciting destination that is rich in history, irresistible for adventurers, full of flavour for the feverent foodie, fun for the whole family and surrounded by the best that nature has to offer.
Visit the Echuca Moama Visitor Centre to find out everything there is to do in Echuca Moama, make bookings, or purchase local produce from the Wine and Produce Hub.