For thousands of years people have gathered at this natural meeting place. Where two cities are divided by the state line of New South Wales and Victoria but united by the Murray River. Modern and vibrant culture sits shoulder to shoulder with a rich historical past. This is a place where the great outdoors meets urban style.
The opportunities for outdoor adventure and exploration are endless. With every kind of nature-based experience at your fingertips, you can head for the clean air of the Snowy Mountains, swim, kayak, or paddle at Noreuil Park, hire a canoe and paddle the Murray River or spend time with the locals at Lake Hume.
Discover a rich Indigenous history and the pioneering and immigration stories that shaped Albury Wodonga with visits to the Bonegilla Migrant Experience, where you can learn of the journeys made by some 300,000 immigrants who made their way to Australia in search of a better life after World War II. Plus, explorations of the Wagirra Trail and Wonga Wetlands.
Bring out the inner artist as you absorb the extensive art collection at MAMA – Murray Art Museum Albury, one of the most visited art spaces outside of Sydney. The focus here is on living artists, stories and the ideals that resonate today.
- Embrace the great outdoors with a visit to Noreuil Park where swimming, kayaking and bike riding are the order of the day.
- Explore Wodonga’s new cultural hub, library and gallery, and Albury’s stunning Murray Art Museum Albury and Library Museum.
- Follow the Yindyamarra Sculpture Walk, which showcases sculptures created by local indigenous artists dotted along the Murray River.
- Sample some of the best wine Australia has to offer with a visit to the vineyards of Rutherglen and Corowa.
- Spend time on Lake Hume – six times larger than Sydney Harbour this is a fabulous spot for boating, fishing, and paddle boarding adventures.
- Take a day long food journey exploring everything from cool breakfast spots to fabulous evening dining.
- Navigate your way around the outstanding craft breweries on the Regional Beer Trail.